St Andrew's Church is integral to our school life at Norman, in fact we owe the very existence of our school to St Andrew's Church. The school was built in memory of the Rev. Norman of St Andrew's by his widow1873.
The current incumbent of this beautiful church is Rev. Joan Horan who is supported by Rev. Juanita Hawthorn.
Both Rev. Joan and Rev. Juanita are regular visitors to our school and help us lead our services in Church and in School.
On the recently re-discovered school sign it reads...
"The Norman School
Dedicated to the Glory of God and the memory of Rev. Charles Manners Richard Norman and erected by his devoted widow Caroline A Norman to ensure to the youth of Northwold a sound religious education. A.D 1873
"Let Thine Heart Retain My Words" Prov IV.IV"
For 150 Years, The Norman School and The Church of England have been providing an Education for the pupils of Northwold and the surrounding area. Much has changed over the years but being the link between the school, the community and St Andrew's Church remains as steadfast as ever. In Ecclesiastes 4:12, the Bible tells us that “though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”
History of St Andrew's
Northwold goes back long before the Norman invasion - indeed it seems very likely that there was a Saxon church here under the patronage of Ely Abbey. That Saxon church was rebuilt in Norman style about 1229.
A native of Northwold named Hugh rose to become Abbot of Bury St Edmunds in 1215, and Hugh of Northwold was later named Bishop of Ely by Henry III, so it seems likely that it was his influence that prompted the rebuilding of the Saxon church.
The 15th-century - On the north wall is a much-faded wall painting which must date to the mid 14th century, around the time of the Black Death. One of the few decipherable parts of the painting shows a huntsman with a hawk upon his wrist.
The most interesting feature of St Andrews is, however, a superb late 14th or early 15th century Easter Sepulchre on the north wall of the chancel. Sepulchres are rare in England, and it is even rarer to find one in such good condition.
Also within the church is a monument to Robert Burhill (d. 1627) a poet, antiquarian, and associate of Sir Walter Raleigh. The hammer-beam nave roof is 15th century, though the painting is a 19th-century restoration of the original medieval pattern. Look for the peculiar corbel head in the shape of a cow.
The most striking feature of the exterior is the huge Perpendicular tower, dating to 1473. This features 8 pinnacles and attractive flushwork patterns. The south porch is 14th century, and the main south door is 13th century.