Each summer our Year 6s, as part of their transition to High school, attend Walsingham Shrine with the other Year 6s from our partnership schools.
This year they took part in the 'To be a Pilgrim' activity day. Rev Joan Horan from St Andrew's visited the children before their trip to talk to them about transition and the importance of Faith, they also made their own Pilgrim Badges to wear on the day. (Pilgrim badges are decorations worn by some of those who undertake a Christian pilgrimage to a place considered holy by the Church.)
To be a pilgrim day, during the visit the pupils:
- Discovered why pilgrims have visited Walsingham for nearly 1000 years.
- Time travelled back to Medieval Walsingham.
- Found out what a pilgrim would have needed for their journey.
- Visited the Abbey grounds to see the original site of the Holy House.
- Explored the Welcome Centre Art or craft activities linked to learning.
- Explored the present-day Shrine.
- Discovered what pilgrims do today and what it means to them.
- Spent time reflecting and light a candle in the special Holy House.
- Took part in a short service of 'Sprinkling' at the Well with other Pilgrims.
If you would like more information about our school trip to Walsingham, please see link to Walsingham brochure below.